Thinking about buying a car in 2017? Make sure you set aside some time to plan for this major purchase. After a home, a car is typically the second most expensive purchase anyone makes — and settling on a new vehicle is not a decision to make merely over a weekend.
Follow these 10 car-buying tips to make sure you get a car you can afford and will be happy driving for years to come.
1. Determine your budget
2. Decide: New, certified pre-owned or used? Buy or lease?
3. Narrow your choices to a few cars
4. Assess your ownership costs
5. Secure financing — before you visit the dealer
6. Don’t assume financing at the dealership is the best deal
7. Learn the invoice price
8. Research all possible discounts in advance
9. Take your time with the test drive
10. Use smart negotiating strategies